30 May 2015

HOMEMADE NUTELLA

Or Cacao and Hazelnut spread.
I am all for team Nutella-in fact I've been know to finish a jar without blinking and not necessarily with a spoon. Having said that I don't like the fact that it is made with palm oil. I also don't want all the sugar. I am not anti sugar at all but I want it to earn its place so when I can replace it without ruining the end product I will.

This is super easy. You need about 30 minutes and a good strong food processor- I use a Magimix 5100 which does the job of blitzing any nuts I throw in it.

-Turn the oven on to 200C and place roughly 2 cups of hazelnuts on a baking tray in a single layer. You don't need to line the tray.
-After 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven /fan or no fan) take them out and let them cool for a few minutes. The heat has released the natural oil in the nuts and loosened the skin.
-You want to remove as many skins as you can so tip the nuts onto a large clean tea towel and, grabbing all the corners together, rub vigorously at the nuts through the towel.
-Open the tea towel out and you should have lots of nut skin shards on the tea towel. Place the nuts in your food processor and discard the skins.
-Blitz the nuts for about 15 minutes stopping regularly to scrape down the sides. You will notice the nuts become very dry and crumbly then quite wet. You will end up with a nut butter.


-Toss in 2 or 3 tablespoons of good cacao and the same of either pure maple syrup or honey- if you use honey you will taste it in the end result. Add a dash of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt.
-Blitz again until it all comes together. It will form a ball for a moment then spread to the sides again-this is pretty much ready. I did add a spoon of cold pressed coconut oil at this stage and gave it one more blitz to bring it all together.


-Spoon into a clean jar and it should keep for two weeks in the pantry.
Eat what doesn't fit in the jar. Why waste it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment